Wednesday, January 27, 2016

DANGEROUS WONDER - PART TWO



In the book "DANGEROUS WONDER" Mike Yaconelli tells another story that explains the title of his book. 
"One sad day, we are aware of an absence. We can no longer hear the God-voice, and we are left with only silence - not a quiet silence but a roaring silence.
We did not want to stop hearing God's voice. Indeed, God kept on speaking. But our lives became louder. The increasing crescendo of our possessions, the ear-piercing noise of busyness, and the soul-smothering volume of our endless activity drowned out the still, small voice of God.
Most cannot say when it happened, we only know that it happened. When we became aware of the absence of God's voice, there were a thousand deaths within us.
In desperation, I picked up a book by Henri Nouwen titled In The Name of Jesus. It is a small book. I read it in a couple of hours, but the reading of it was irrelevant. It was the ringing in my ears when I finished the book that commanded my attention. I had heard a familiar voice. Oh, it wasn't audible, but I heard it nonetheless. The voice was the the voice of my childhood. It was the unmistakable voice of Jesus. He had found me! He had been hiding in the pages of Henri's book, and my heart began to tingle with anticipation. 
The numbness of my soul began to dissipate and I could sense the beginning of a wild and new way of living. I was full of joy and fear at the same time because I knew that if I listened to this Jesus and followed Him - if I, like the disciples, left my fishing - He would lead me into treacherous territory, where every day would be an experience of danger and wonder at the same time: an adventure of dangerous wonder!"

No comments:

Post a Comment