Sunday, October 18, 2015

REJECTING THE MYTHS OF AGING - PT.VI


I read this book for my own benefit, since I was holding on to some deeply ingrained beliefs about aging that, according to the author, are no longer valid. I've been sharing highlights and hope that you will consider some of these ideas as we move into what could be the most productive season of our lives. Today we look at some highlights from "Rethinking Retirement".


"Retirement is the ugliest word in the language."

- Ernest Hemingway
Planning for Retirement
"Retirement separates individuals from previous rolls, without providing them with the motivation for building a new self concept in another roll. When many individuals disengage from work, they are isolated from former co-workers, and they no longer have the means to carry out whatever social roles they formally played. They become teachers with no students, business people with no business, speakers with no audience, writers with no readers.
However much one may grumble about the hassle, our daily work is critically important to us. Making the transition from work to retirement is one of the biggest changes we make in our lives. The key to doing it successfully is in the planning."
Some plan "Non-Retirement". 
An interview with Ray Charles, ("It's not over yet," 1997), a ten-time Grammy award winner, supports the notion of non-retirement. "What would I retire to? Music is my life", says Charles, "when the good Lord wants me to retire he will take care of that. I work as much as I want." The sixty-six year old performer was making his thirty-seventh world tour with his sixteen-piece orchestra. "Fortunately for me, my heart is still good and I feel good, and that's the main thing. What's really the most wonderful thing in the world is doing something you love to do. Making people happy keeps you alive. Life is supposed to be meaningful."
Again, retirement or non-retirement will be one of the biggest changes we make in our lives. The key to doing it successfully is in the planning. We will look at specific planning ideas in future posts.


To view Part I of this book review click HERE 
To view Part II of this book review click HERE
To view Part III of this book review click HERE 
To view Part IV of this book review click HERE 
To view Part V of this book review click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment