Friday, September 18, 2015

"DID YOU KNOW?" (PART TWO)


If memory serves me, it's been 35 years since I read a church history book from cover to cover.

Even then, while a student at Nazarene Theological Seminary, I'm not sure I read both volumes of Latourettee from cover to cover. I only read those portions that Dr. Paul Bassett assigned. (although, as I look through those books, I discover that most every page is either highlighted or underlined).

Since then, I've read only references to the History of Christianity. I think that's, partially at least, what attracted me to this volume: Christianity: A Global History by David Chidester. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable a read this volume was. (read all 600 pages in a little over a week)

Upon completion, I did read some reviews and, as to be expected, they were mixed. I will say this about the book. The author delivered what he promised. The book is not an encyclopedia. He left out many things. No, this book was a story well told. It was a historical novel really. And frankly, I like the genre.

Here are some comments from Chapter Two.
"The teachings of Jesus countered many of the conventions of human relations and social interactions. In the face to face relations of the village community, Jesus advocated mutual forgiveness, the cancellation of debts, and an ethical reciprocity based on treating other people as one would want to be treated." (Luke 6:27-35, Matthew 7:12 and Luke 11:1-4).
"In a society that valued honor and sought to avoid the humiliation of shame, Jesus recommended humility. "Everyone who glorifies himself will be humiliated", he observed, "and the one who humbles himself will be praised". (Luke 14:11, 18:14 and Matthew 23:12). 
"In a society riddled with economic uncertainty, Jesus promised released from all anxiety, saying "Do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" (Luke 12:22-31, Matthew 6:25-34). Certainly, this practical wisdom of Jesus defied many of the conventions of village life."
"Most dramatically, perhaps the wisdom of Jesus ran counter to common sense by exhorting people to love their enemies, to bless those who curse them, and to pray for those who mistreated them. This must have seemed like a crazy kind of wisdom."
I look forward to sharing more of these statements and stories in future posts. To view Part One of this series click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment