Friday, August 21, 2015

BEST PRACTICES PART IV


Profiles and Conversations with Ministry Leaders.
A few years ago, Dr. Tom Nees published a book containing interviews of "K-Church" pastors, (Nazarene pastors who pastor churches of 1000 or more), in an attempt to understand the effective practices we've adapted that may have contributed to our church's growth. Today I will continue to share excerpts from his conversation with me. 

In my last post Tom asked me "What holds the church together with a common identity?"   After I shared my answer (see link at bottom of this post) he asked me this question: 
Dr. Tom Nees - "As you've changed the programs to meet the needs and schedules of those you're adding to the church, what changes have you had to make in the organizational structure of the church? What internal changes have been necessary to drive this growth?"
Bud Reedy In 2002 we invited Bobby Huffaker, then the pastor at Grove City, as a growth consultant. Although our staffing and programs reflected our core values, our structure did not. We had the old traditional board structure, the one outlined in the Nazarene Manual, which is for a small to medium church model. The first thing Bobby said to us was that our church had outgrown its organizational structure. He made some recommendations that would make our organizational structure and decision making process represent our church core values.
*************************

The next excerpt will include my response to Tom's question, "What changes have you had to make in your personal leadership style?"

To view Part I of this series, please click HERE.

To view Part II of this series, please click HERE.

To view Part III of this series, please click HERE.






No comments:

Post a Comment