Wednesday, March 4, 2015

INNER CONFLICT


Welcome back to the continuing conversation between Jeb Bush and myself concerning the immigration wars. (actually, I'm just reading his book!)



I think this quote more than any other I've read from Jeb Bush so far sums up the tremendous inner conflict I have over the subject of immigration:

"On the one hand, we should try to put ourselves in the shoes of people who have entered the country illegally. They often face impossible economic circumstances in their  native countries, with a bleak future for themselves and their families, yet had no realistic process of immigrating legally to this country. 

On the other hand, allowing people to immigrate illegally with out consequence while millions of others wait to enter through legal means is manifestly unfair. Moreover, it creates a strong incentive for illegal immigration while sending a signal that we do not really value the rule of law."

No comments:

Post a Comment