Friday, February 13, 2015

EVEN FROM A COFFEE MAKER


I began preaching the gospel when I was 12 years old. Seriously, the day I graduated from the children’s division to the NYPS (Nazarene Young People’s Society), I began to preach.

Now it would be a stretch to call those early efforts sermons.  No, we called them “programs”.  But every Sunday evening, an hour before the Sunday evening evangelistic service, the local teens were in charge of “the young people’s service.”  It was attended mostly by teens and our parents, but it provided a wonderful, weekly opportunity to cut our preaching, teaching and Christian leadership teeth.  I started at 12 and have been preaching ever since (let’s see I’m 61, you do the math!)

As I look back, most of my life has been spent in preparation to preach.  I debated the national debate question in high school.  I studied communication arts in college.  And I took every preaching course I could get my chubby hands on in seminary.  I read with the primary purpose of improving my preaching.  It’s what God has called me to do.  I love it.  I want to be the very best I can be.

As you may or not know from a previous blog, I am reading a book titled:  “Pour Your Heart Into It” by Howard Schultz.  The book’s about how he “built Starbucks one cup at a time”.

Schultz tells the story about the day he bought Starbucks (with the help of some investor friends).  At 10 AM he called all the employees together to announce that he was the prez and CEO and this day was the start of a brand new day for the fledging company.  He wrote:

“Despite their good wishes, I know some people felt nervous.  Their lives had just been changed, and they had no say in the decision.  They knew Starbucks would change but they didn’t know how.  Would I lower the quality of the coffee?  Would I ease some people out?  Or fail to recognize how others had grown in their job?  Were my fast growth plans really feasible?” (p.101)

So, what do you suppose Shultz said at such a critical moment?

Well, he became a coffee evangelist.  He took a 5X7 note card wrote down three reminders to himself and addressed the group.  Here are his notes to self:

Speak from the heart. Put yourself in their shoes. Share the Big Dream with them. Frankly, the moment I read his notes I thought: This captures the essence of great preaching.  Think about it.


Speak from the heart. God’s heart (the Bible) and yours. (God’s story, and your story, told passionately and convincingly)


Put yourself in their shoes. Consider carefully what your peeps are facing in their daily lives.  Correct them and encourage them in equal measure.  

Preach with empathy.  Ortho-doxy is very important.  So is Ortho-praxis.   But preach from a pure heart (Ortho-kardin!)


Share the big dream with them.  Share God’s big idea and invite them into it.  Don’t share your vision . . . share God’s vision for the world.

I take my preaching tips wherever I can find them
                                               . . . even from a coffeemaker!