Saturday, February 14, 2015

A PECULIAR THING INDEED


I love the preaching life. The calling, prayer, education, organization, preparation, study writing, prayer and presentation . . . it’ all good.  


From the moment I conclude one sermon, I’m thinking about the next.  Sound like an obsession?  I think it is! And quite frankly, I’m not the least bit interested in finding “a cure”.  I love speaking for Jesus. I’m honored and humbled to do so.

The older I get; the more aware I have become of the peculiar nature of this thing we call preaching and the peculiar nature of the preaching life.  There is nothing quite like it.  For instance I've learned . . .
I must prepare as if it all depends on the preacher. (which of course, it does not.)  Prep takes time.  Short cuts are notoriously dangerous.  I must do my best and bring my best every week.
I must preach as if it all depends on Jesus (which, of course, it most certainly does!)  Thus the role of prayer in the preaching life.
I must study the Scriptures diligently in order to be declared by the Spirit, as approved. (see Paul’s advice to Timothy 4:1-16)
I must preach knowing Jesus approval is more than enough.  (congregational approval is appreciated but can’t be predicated).
I must avoid the temptation of weighing my effectiveness by the visible responses I may or may not see from my congregation. (some will believe the gospel and some will mock my messages . . . and me.  Disappointing, yes.  To be expected? Yes)
I must preach with urgency because there is a lot at stake.  (more now than ever I suppose).
I must preach from a particular, long range vision . . . Jesus’ vision . . . a kingdom sized vision . . . toward the Spirit’s creation of a loving, caring, praying community.  (Brueggeman writing:  “The preacher must have a larger vision of what a sermon intends to do, so that there is a long-term strategy about the human predicament and the evangelical possibility that are juxtaposed in the sermon.”)
I must realize my preaching will “improve” only in proportion to my capacity to love God and love all persons.  The transformation of my heart (ortho-cardia) will transform my preaching (ortho-doxy and ortho-paxis) just as Wesleyan-Holiness doctrines are built upon a theology of love, Wesleyan-Holiness preaching must leak from a preachers heart and lips as agape expressed.

Does all of this sound rather peculiar to you?  It does to me.  William Willimon is right.  Preaching is peculiar speech.  I would like to add that preachers can be a peculiar people.  The preaching life is a rather peculiar way to conduct one’s life I suppose.  Seriously, all that time and effort for one little measly 30 minute speech.  (or, on a day when (I’m not as well- prepared, 40 minutes!) 


      Yep . . . it’s peculiar and I love it.

(At the time of this writing, I am scheduled to preach again in 8 hours.  Hot-diggity!)