Tuesday, June 23, 2015

LIVING A BETTER STORY (PART TWO)


Before reading part two, you might want to read yesterday's part one, as we continue with the story "How Jason Saved His Family".

"The night after we talked, Jason couldn't sleep. He thought about the story his daughter was living and the role she was playing inside that story. He realized he hadn't provided a better role for his daughter. He hadn't mapped a story for his family. And so his daughter had chosen another story, a story in which she was wanted, even if she was only being used. In the absence of a family story, she had chosen a story in which there was risk and adventure, rebellion and independence. "She's not a bad girl" my friend says, "she was just choosing the best story available to her."

I pictured his daughter flipping through the channels of life, as if it were, stopping on a story that seemed most compelling at the moment, the story that offer her offered her something, anything, because people can't live without a story, without a role to play.

"So how did you get her out of it?", I asked. And I couldn't believe what he told me next. 

Jason decided to stop yelling at his daughter, and instead, created a better story to invite her into. He remembered that a story involves a character who wants something and overcomes conflict to get it. 

"I started researching some stuff on the internet," Jason said, and I came across an organization that builds orphanages around the world. And that sounded to me like a pretty good ambition, something maybe my family could try to do together. It sounded like a good story."

"Right", I said, trying to remember the elements of a story myself.  

"So I called this organization," Jason said, "and it takes about twenty-five thousand dollars to build one of these orphanages. And the truth is, we don't have the money. I mean, we just took out a second mortgage. But I knew if we were going to tell a good story, it would involve risk". 


"That's true", I said, remembering it from the seminar. 

"So I went home and called a family meeting", my friend continued. "I didn't tell my wife first, which it turns out was a mistake". But I told them about this village, and about the orphanage and all these terrible things that could happen if these kids didn't an orphanage. Then I told them I agreed to build it".


*     *     *

"check back tomorrow for the last part of the story".

No comments:

Post a Comment