Wednesday, June 24, 2015

LIVING A BETTER STORY (PART THREE)


Before reading part three, you might want to read the last two posts as we continue with the story "How Jason Saved His Family".


"You're kidding me", I said. "No, I'm not". And my wife sat there looking like I'd lost my mind. And my daughter, her eyes were as big as melons and she wasn't happy. She knew this would mean she would have to give up her allowance and who knows what else. They just sat there in silence. And the longer they sat there the more I wondered if I lost my mind too". 

"I actually think you might have lost your mind", I said, feeling somewhat responsible. 

"Well, maybe so", Jason said, looking away for a second with a smile. "But it's working out. I mean things are getting pretty good, Don." 

Jason went on to explain that his wife and daughter went back to their separate rooms and neither of them talked to him. His wife was rightly upset that he had not mentioned anything to her. But that night while they were lying in bed, he explained whole story thing, about how they weren't taking risks and weren't helping anybody and their daughter was losing interest.

"The next day," he said, "Anne came to me while I was doing the dishes." He collected his words. "Things had just been tense for the last year, Don. I haven't told you everything. But my wife came to me and put her arms around me and leaned her face in the back my neck and told me she was proud of me."

"You're kidding," I said. "I'm not," my friend said. "Don, I hadn't heard Annie say anything like that in years. I told her I was sorry I didn't talk to her about it, that I just got excited." She said she forgave me but it didn't matter. She said we had an orphanage to build, and that we're probably going to make bigger mistakes, but we would build it. My friend smiled as he remembered his wife's words.

And then Rachel came into our bedroom, maybe a few days later, and asked if we could go to Mexico. Annie and I just looked at her and didn't know what to say. So then Rachel crawled between us in the bed, like she did when she was little. She said she could talk about the orphanage on her website and maybe people would help. She could post pictures. She wanted to go to Mexico to meet the kids and take pictures for her website. "That's incredible", I said.

"You know what else, man?" Jason said. "she broke up with her boyfriend last week. She had his picture on her dresser and took it down and told me he said she was too fat. Can you believe that? What a jerk!"

"A jerk", I agreed. 

"But that's done now", Jason said, shaking his head. "No girl who plays the role of the hero dates a guy who uses her. She knows who she is. She just forgot for a little while."

No comments:

Post a Comment