Thursday, June 4, 2015

EXTRA BILLY


“Confederate General William “Extra Billy” Smith: 
From Virginia’s Statehouse to Gettysburg Scapegoat.”

Yes, I am both a friend and a fan of Scott Mingus, Sr. Frankly, he is one of the most interesting people I know. He is a devout Christ-follower, an accomplished and internationally recognized scientist and, for our purposes today, a Civil War “geek” who has become an outstanding “regional Civil War historian.” Yes. And a Stillmeadow Nazarene, I might add: I ought to know. I’m his pastor!

I’ve just finished his latest offering . . . his first biography and quite frankly, I couldn’t put it down.

Now, don’t get me wrong. “Extra Billy” is not his first book. He has written several books including “Flames Beyond Gettysburg: The Confederate Expedition to the Susquehanna River, June 1863.” Of “Flames”, the Washington times wrote: “Clearly written, scrupulously edited, and well-organized.” High praise, don’t you think? And well-deserved, in my mind.

No. What I said was “Extra Billy” is his first attempt at a biography. And I loved it . . . . most of it. Some parts, not so much. Let me explain.

Those sections that focused on “Extra Billy’s” life were extremely interesting. He was a success >failure> success businessman who made a fortune, lost it, and got it back. He was a man of creativity, guts and determination, all attributes he took with him into the political arena and the battlefield. He led a very interesting life. And the author captures those details in a compelling way.

He obtained the nickname “Extra Billy” because of his ability to find and use loopholes in government postal contracts, receiving a little extra compensation from the government for his stagecoach operation. His detractors used the name as a term to criticize and question his integrity. But interestingly, he didn’t seem to mind, embracing the nickname without hesitation.

And then there is the fascinating history of his political life. He was, after-all the vocal, pro-slavery, five- term U.S. Congressman who served as Governor of Virginia during both the Mexican and Civil War.

And, of course, he became a Confederate officer who commanded a brigade at Gettysburg and during the “invasion” of York, PA. This section was to me the most interesting in the book. It was interesting to learn that as the Confederate marched through the center of York, he paused long enough to give a speech to the people of York from his horse. This speech and his conduct while in the vicinity of York are worth the price of admission. (p.254-265).

Frankly, I loved Mingus re-telling of this fascinating American life. I did not appreciate, as much, the factual details of the battles that Smith participated in. Maybe other “buffs” will. I found them a little tedious and confusing. But that’s because I don’t have as much interest in those details. Honestly, I skimmed over them.

I want to be clear on this. The strategic and factual parts did not ruin the book for me. It remains a solid 4.5 out of 5 stars in my little reviewing system. I highly recommend this read, especially among my South-Central Pennsylvania friends. “Extra Billy” is a wild ride and fun read.

No comments:

Post a Comment